-   -   Function to return interior colour of a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/348320-function-return-interior-colour-cell.html)

G Man

Function to return interior colour of a cell

Hi I am trying to write a function to return the interior colour of a cell
which I reference. I am having difficulty getting this to work.

Basically I want to define a function like CKCellColour, use this in the
excel worksheet as a formula like =CKCellColour(M38)

Then have this function return the interior colour of cell M38

The function I have defined is as follows:

Function CKCellColour(CellRef as Range)

Range(CellRef).Select
CKCellColour = Range(CellRef).Interior.ColorIndex

End Function

This function never seems to get the range ref. Can someone help me solve
this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Norman Jones

Function to return interior colour of a cell

Hi G Man,

Try this adaptation;

'=============
Function CKCellColour(CellRef As Range)

CKCellColour = CellRef.Interior.ColorIndex

End Function
'<<=============

--
---
Regards,

"G Man" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to write a function to return the interior colour of a cell
which I reference. I am having difficulty getting this to work.

Basically I want to define a function like CKCellColour, use this in the
excel worksheet as a formula like =CKCellColour(M38)

Then have this function return the interior colour of cell M38

The function I have defined is as follows:

Function CKCellColour(CellRef as Range)

Range(CellRef).Select
CKCellColour = Range(CellRef).Interior.ColorIndex

End Function

This function never seems to get the range ref. Can someone help me solve
this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Toppers

Function to return interior colour of a cell

Try:

"G Man" wrote:

Hi I am trying to write a function to return the interior colour of a cell
which I reference. I am having difficulty getting this to work.

Basically I want to define a function like CKCellColour, use this in the
excel worksheet as a formula like =CKCellColour(M38)

Then have this function return the interior colour of cell M38

The function I have defined is as follows:

Function CKCellColour(CellRef as Range)

Range(CellRef).Select
CKCellColour = Range(CellRef).Interior.ColorIndex

End Function

This function never seems to get the range ref. Can someone help me solve
this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

G Man

Function to return interior colour of a cell

Many thanks this does the job nicely.

One last small question, is there a way for to get the recalc function to
rerun this function so that it picks up changes of interior cells given
conditional formating?

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi G Man,

Try this adaptation;

'=============

"G Man" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to write a function to return the interior colour of a cell
which I reference. I am having difficulty getting this to work.

Basically I want to define a function like CKCellColour, use this in the
excel worksheet as a formula like =CKCellColour(M38)

Then have this function return the interior colour of cell M38

The function I have defined is as follows:

Function CKCellColour(CellRef as Range)

Range(CellRef).Select
CKCellColour = Range(CellRef).Interior.ColorIndex

End Function

This function never seems to get the range ref. Can someone help me solve
this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jim Thomlinson[_4_]

Function to return interior colour of a cell

Take a look at this link for more info on conditional formatted colors...

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

That function will not recognize conditional formats. Conditional formats do
not actually set the interior color of the cell. Application.volitile will
ensure that the function is re-evelauted every time the spreadsheet is
recalced. Place that at the top of the code.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"G Man" wrote:

Many thanks this does the job nicely.

One last small question, is there a way for to get the recalc function to
rerun this function so that it picks up changes of interior cells given
conditional formating?

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi G Man,

Try this adaptation;

'=============

"G Man" wrote:

Many thanks this does the job nicely.

One last small question, is there a way for to get the recalc function to
rerun this function so that it picks up changes of interior cells given
conditional formating?

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi G Man,

Try this adaptation;

'=============

"G Man" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to write a function to return the interior colour of a cell
which I reference. I am having difficulty getting this to work.

Basically I want to define a function like CKCellColour, use this in the
excel worksheet as a formula like =CKCellColour(M38)

Then have this function return the interior colour of cell M38

The function I have defined is as follows:

Function CKCellColour(CellRef as Range)

Range(CellRef).Select
CKCellColour = Range(CellRef).Interior.ColorIndex

End Function

This function never seems to get the range ref. Can someone help me solve
this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bob Phillips[_6_]

Function to return interior colour of a cell

and this http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"G Man" wrote:

Many thanks this does the job nicely.

One last small question, is there a way for to get the recalc function

rerun this function so that it picks up changes of interior cells

given
conditional formating?

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi G Man,

Try this adaptation;

'=============

"G Man" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to write a function to return the interior colour

of a cell
which I reference. I am having difficulty getting this to work.

Basically I want to define a function like CKCellColour, use this

in the
excel worksheet as a formula like =CKCellColour(M38)

Then have this function return the interior colour of cell M38

The function I have defined is as follows:

Function CKCellColour(CellRef as Range)

Range(CellRef).Select
CKCellColour = Range(CellRef).Interior.ColorIndex

End Function

This function never seems to get the range ref. Can someone help

me solve
this problem.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Jim Thomlinson[_4_]

Function to return interior colour of a cell

Great reference Bob. I had not seen that one. The author sound fimilair so I
guess I will trust the code.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"G Man" wrote:

Many thanks this does the job nicely.

One last small question, is there a way for to get the recalc function

rerun this function so that it picks up changes of interior cells

given
conditional formating?

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi G Man,