-   -   Adding a "1" in front of everything in column A (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/347199-adding-1-front-everything-column.html)

alexm999[_96_]

Adding a "1" in front of everything in column A

I'd like to add a "1" (number one) in front of everything in column A.
can use =1&A1 but it's too tedius to do to every record in ever
spreadsheet.

I tried creating a macro, but for blank rows say A1 to A100 hav
numbers, but after that it adds a 1 in an empty cell.

Is there anyone who can help me with this

--
alexm99
alexm999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=491

Gary Keramidas

Adding a "1" in front of everything in column A

try this, i am assuming the string you want is text so it didn't sum if
there were existing numbers:

Option Explicit
Dim lastrow As Long
Dim cell As Range
Sub test()
lastrow = Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For Each cell In Range("A1:A" & lastrow)
cell.Value = "1" & cell.Value
Next

Gary

"alexm999" wrote in
message ...

I'd like to add a "1" (number one) in front of everything in column A. I
can use =1&A1 but it's too tedius to do to every record in every
spreadsheet.

I tried creating a macro, but for blank rows say A1 to A100 have
numbers, but after that it adds a 1 in an empty cell.

Is there anyone who can help me with this?

--
alexm999
alexm999's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=490316

Ken Johnson

Adding a "1" in front of everything in column A

Hi Alex,
If you don't want to use a macro you could try filling this formula
down a spare column starting in row 2 (You probably have a heading in
row 1)

=IF(A2<"","1" & A2,"")

This avoids the problem you are having with blank cells.

Ken Johnson

Myles[_5_]

Adding a "1" in front of everything in column A

Or,

Sub AddOne()

For each c in Range("a:a")
If Not Isempty(c) Then