-   -   Saving a template as a worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/347181-saving-template-worksheet.html)

Leon

Saving a template as a worksheet

When I open a template worksheet
After I'm done working on it Is there a way to have the default file type
changed from xlt to xls when I save it.
I'm asking this question because I sometimes forget to change the file type
and my worrksheet is saved as my template instead of as a new worksheet with
the attributes of the template.
Thanks in advance for any help

Dave Peterson

Saving a template as a worksheet

It might be easier to use windows explorer to mark your file as ReadOnly.

Then if you open that template file, you won't be able to write over it.

But if you use create a new workbook based on that template, you'll still be ok.

ps. If you store your .xlt file in your template folder, you'll be able to use
File|new and create a workbook based on that template.

--

Dave Peterson

Leon

Saving a template as a worksheet

Thanks, Dave.

Leon wrote:

When I open a template worksheet
After I'm done working on it Is there a way to have the default file type
changed from xlt to xls when I save it.
I'm asking this question because I sometimes forget to change the file type
and my worrksheet is saved as my template instead of as a new worksheet with
the attributes of the template.
Thanks in advance for any help

--

Dave Peterson

Chris Lavender[_2_]

Saving a template as a worksheet

Hi Leon

If you set the template's attributes to ReadOnly in Explorer (right-click
properties) it will force you to Save As rather than (mistakenly) saving the
template itself (although if you want to modify the template in the future
you'll need to uncheck ReadOnly before you do any mods to the template
itself). Also if you open the workbook from Explorer, double-clicking on a
template will open a new workbook based on the template rather than the
template itself...

HTH
Best rgds
Chris Lav