-   -   array questions (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/347028-array-questions.html)

Gary Keramidas

array questions

for some reason, arrays just don't work like i think they should, so i need
some help

i have an array of file names

arr = Array("File1.xls", "File2.xls", "File3.xls")

why doesn't this open them

For i = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr)
Workbooks.Open Filename:=arr(i), ReadOnly:=True, UpdateLinks:=3

arr(i) contains "file1.xls", but i get an error

--

Gary

bpeltzer

array questions

Is it the array or the directory? It seems to be working fine as long as
either (1) the files exist in the current directory or (2) I specify the path
in the array of names.

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

for some reason, arrays just don't work like i think they should, so i need
some help

i have an array of file names

arr = Array("File1.xls", "File2.xls", "File3.xls")

why doesn't this open them

For i = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr)
Workbooks.Open Filename:=arr(i), ReadOnly:=True, UpdateLinks:=3

arr(i) contains "file1.xls", but i get an error

--

Gary

Greg Wilson

array questions

You need to also specify the file path. Here I assumed it is the same as the
workbook running the macro ("ThisWorkbook.Path"). If not, you must specify it
some other way.

Sub TestOpenWBs()
Dim arr As Variant
Dim P As String
Dim i As Integer

arr = Array("File1.xls", "File2.xls", "File3.xls")
P = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\"
For i = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr)
Workbooks.Open P & arr(i)
Next

Greg

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

for some reason, arrays just don't work like i think they should, so i need
some help

i have an array of file names

arr = Array("File1.xls", "File2.xls", "File3.xls")

why doesn't this open them

For i = LBound(arr) To UBound(arr)
Workbooks.Open Filename:=arr(i), ReadOnly:=True, UpdateLinks:=3

arr(i) contains "file1.xls", but i get an error

--

Gary

Gary Keramidas

array questions

they are in the same folder, so i didn't specify the path. just went back in
because both of you said it seemed to work, and guess what, it did work. i
have no idea.

thanks to both

--

Gary