-   -   Replacing Text in a Cell Reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/346751-replacing-text-cell-reference.html)

pdberger

Replacing Text in a Cell Reference

Collective guruosity --

I've built two workbooks, one ('User Data.xls') that pulls a lot of info
from the other ('Reference Data.xls'). I want to distribute this set to
other company employees. The problem is this: When I send them to the new
user's computer, 'User Data' still looks to the workbook on MY computer,
rather than the new one on the user's box. I've instructed the users that I
want these two workbooks to be in the same folder.

I already have some code that starts up as the workbook opens. I would
think I could add some more that wipes out the references to my computer, and
replaces each with just a "\", to look in the same folder on the user's
computer. However, I'd like to make the 'find-and-replace' language generic
so that it can't go wrong.

All the cells affected are on a single page in 'User Data', named "Chart
Preparation".

Thanx in advance for any help you can give me.

sebastienm

Replacing Text in a Cell Reference

Hi,
Manually, to modify the path/source for external links, you would go in Edit
Links.

The vba equivalent is:
thisworkbook.ChangeLink currentNam, newName, type
see the online help on this method.
Sébastien
<http://www.ondemandanalysis.com