-   -   =INDEX(on Range Name,match1,match2) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/346444-%3Dindex-range-name-match1-match2.html)

MikeF[_2_]

=INDEX(on Range Name,match1,match2)

Hi,

I have a Match and Index setup in cell a1 that works fine when it's
referring to one rangename that I enter as the first argument [the "array"
argument].

The objective is that the first argument of this INDEX function needs to
refer to multiple range names.

So I set up a Data Validation drop-down in cell B1 that represents each of
the dozen or so range names the function needs to refer to.

But it's returning a #ref#. ** Disregard the Match arguments in the
following example ..
cell a1: =Index(b1,match1,match1)
cell b1: A drop-down of range names ie "route1" / "route2" / "route3" / etc.

It returns a #ref# , #value#, or #name# error depening on how I attempt to
fix the problem, ie =Index(text(b1,"text"), match1, match2).

Does anyone know how to get the Index function to accept whatever's in the
drop-down?

Thanx in advance,
- Mike

Walt[_3_]

=INDEX(on Range Name,match1,match2)

Hi Mike,

Look in Excel Help for the INDIRECT worksheet function. This should
be what you need in referencing the range.

Best Regards,
Walt Weber

MikeF[_2_]

=INDEX(on Range Name,match1,match2)