-   -   Macro edits won't work (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/343508-macro-edits-wont-work.html)

Tenacity

Macro edits won't work

The first 3 commands of this macro work fine. Not knowing much about VBA, to
try to add 2 more commands, I copied and pasted a working command twice and
substituted the characters I wanted to manipulate in commands 4 and 5.

Commands 4 and 5 don't work.

How can I troubleshoot this and see where is the problem so I can correct it.

Tx for your help. The macro is as follows (hopefully it is readable in this
forum)"

Sub Second_Macro_Rate_Comparisons()
'
' Change_Cellular_in_parentheses Macro
' Macro recorded 3/4/2005 by Edits
'

'
Cells.Replace What:=" (Cellular)", Replacement:="-Cellular", LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False,
SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False
Cells.Replace What:=" GSM", Replacement:="-Cellular", LookAt:= _
xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False,
SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False
Cells.Replace What:=" - ", Replacement:="-", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder _
:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False,
ReplaceFormat:=False
Cells.Replace What:="(", Replacement:="-", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder _
:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False,
ReplaceFormat:=False
Cells.Replace What:=")", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder _
:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False,
ReplaceFormat:=False
End Sub

Jim Thomlinson[_4_]

Macro edits won't work

This worked for me... I just removed some of the default values...

Sub Second_Macro_Rate_Comparisons()
Cells.Replace What:=" (Cellular)", Replacement:="-Cellular",
LookAt:=xlPart
Cells.Replace What:=" GSM", Replacement:="-Cellular", LookAt:=xlPart
Cells.Replace What:=" - ", Replacement:="-", LookAt:=xlPart
Cells.Replace What:="(", Replacement:="-", LookAt:=xlPart
Cells.Replace What:=")", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Tenacity" wrote:

[...]

Tx.

For some reason, the macro is not finding the ( or ). At first I thought
maybe ( is not the ( character, but when I do a Find command, it finds the
cell containing the ( just fine. For some reason, the macro is not changing
the ( or ) as requested. Any suggestions?

"Tenacity" wrote:

[...]

By any chance are the brackets part of a cell format and not an actual
character within the cell. My guess is that you need to just change the
formatting of the cells.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Tenacity" wrote:

[...]

Right on! They should have been text, but whoever entered them somehow made
them as part of a formula. Formatting the entire column to Text worked.
Many thanks.