-   -   Custom graphical cell contents (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/343010-custom-graphical-cell-contents.html)

Dennis Snelgrove[_2_]

Custom graphical cell contents

I'm trying to do something here that requires filling a cell with one
of four possibilities: a completely white cell, completely black, only
the top half of the cell solid black, or the bottom half solid black.
Is there a characterset with these four possibilities, or is there a
way of giving the Fill method the instructions to do this in a VBA
routine?

Glenn Ray[_3_]

Custom graphical cell contents

Using regular cell shading (aka "fill") will take care of your first two
possibilities.

There are two characters which might meet your other possibilities:
* UPPER HALF BLOCK (Character code 2580, Unicode (hex))
* LOWER HALF BLOCK (Character code 2584, Unicode (hex))

You can find these characters by selecting menu --- Insert, Symbol. Select
(normal text) for the font and "Block Elements" for the Subset.

If you tweak the font size and row/column height, I think you'll get the
desired results. It also helps to use center formatting for these cells.

-Glenn Ray