-   -   XML Sort Question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/338553-xml-sort-question.html)

Shatin[_2_]

XML Sort Question

Say I have imported an XML table into Excel. I then sort the table by a
certain column. When I refresh the table, will this sort criteria be
preserved, i.e. will the new data again be sorted by the column I've
previously selected? Or will the table simply be arranged in whatever order
the data is retrieved, thereby requiring me to manually sort it again?

Tom Ogilvy

XML Sort Question

I don't know, but I doubt it. It didn't with an Access table.
Why not test it.

If it doesn't come in sorted as you wish, why not add an Order By command to
your sql (in the query).

Tom Ogilvy

"Shatin" wrote in message
Say I have imported an XML table into Excel. I then sort the table by a
certain column. When I refresh the table, will this sort criteria be
preserved, i.e. will the new data again be sorted by the column I've
previously selected? Or will the table simply be arranged in whatever

order
the data is retrieved, thereby requiring me to manually sort it again?

Shatin[_2_]

XML Sort Question

Thanks for your reply, Tom.

The XML table was inserted into the worksheet using Data|Import External
Data|New Web Query from the menu bar and not with VBA. So I don't have any
idea how to add an Order By command to the query.

In fact, now that I have the table, I don't know where I can get back my
original URL. When I right-click on the table and choose XML|XML Source, I
got a panel showing XML Maps, not my URL for getting the XML table.