-   -   Can't stop Excel re-calculating on opening - hmmm... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/338307-cant-stop-excel-re-calculating-opening-hmmm.html)

gearoi[_2_]

Can't stop Excel re-calculating on opening - hmmm...

Hello all - have searched the boards to death but I'm still getting thi
issue - help massively appreciated :)

I have a large "calculations" spreadsheet which needs to open some CS
files. I have the code sorted to do all that, e.g.

then I do this code just to open a file - it's a CSV file which open
directly:
Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
"L:\FTP_ROOT\RISK_TST\Reports\rpt_013_liabilities. c sv"

then the code goes on to do some calcs and so on...

There are about 5 sheets to open and then later close.

THE PROBLEM: Excel calculates the WHOLE CALCULATIONS spreadsheet when
open the CSV file, even though calculation is off. I can only assum
this is part of the way that I've opened the file. :-S

Please help - it takes Soooooo long to recalculate the entir
spreadsheet now and what I do with the rest of the very long macro i
to make it calculate only the sections it needs - i
range("x").calculate or sheets("y").calculate and so on. This bit work
fine though.

So - how do I make a CSV file open -without- recalculating?

Thanks so much for your help :

--
gearo
gearoi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2657

Jim Cone

Can't stop Excel re-calculating on opening - hmmm...

g,

Take a look at what Charles Williams has to say...
http://www.decisionmodels.com/calcsecretse.htm

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"gearoi"

wrote in message

Hello all - have searched the boards to death but I'm still getting this
issue - help massively appreciated :)
I have a large "calculations" spreadsheet which needs to open some CSV
files. I have the code sorted to do all that, e.g.
then I do this code just to open a file - it's a CSV file which opens
directly:
Workbooks.Open Filename:= _
"L:\FTP_ROOT\RISK_TST\Reports\rpt_013_liabilities. c sv"
then the code goes on to do some calcs and so on...
There are about 5 sheets to open and then later close.
THE PROBLEM: Excel calculates the WHOLE CALCULATIONS spreadsheet when I
open the CSV file, even though calculation is off. I can only assume
this is part of the way that I've opened the file. :-S
Please help - it takes Soooooo long to recalculate the entire
spreadsheet now and what I do with the rest of the very long macro is
to make it calculate only the sections it needs - ie
range("x").calculate or sheets("y").calculate and so on. This bit works