-   -   excel file format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/337531-excel-file-format.html)

johan mårtensson

excel file format

Hi,

I'm wondering what the excel file format looks like as I would like to
be able an existing excel file from another Win32 application. Or are
there better ways to do this (using win32 API)

thanks
/johan

Simon Letten

excel file format

From what I've read the Excel file format is a binary file format with
specific internal data structures. If you need to read/write to an Excel file
you are probably best off using Automation to start & control Excel. There
is an intro here
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...plications.asp
--
HTH

Simon

"johan mårtensson" wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering what the excel file format looks like as I would like to
be able an existing excel file from another Win32 application. Or are
there better ways to do this (using win32 API)

thanks
/johan

Dave Peterson

excel file format

Maybe saving as a .csv would be easiest???

johan mårtensson wrote:

Hi,

I'm wondering what the excel file format looks like as I would like to
be able an existing excel file from another Win32 application. Or are
there better ways to do this (using win32 API)

thanks
/johan

--

Dave Peterson

NickHK

excel file format

Johan,
There is this:
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...odeId=11898&ln
gWId=1

NickHK

"johan mårtensson" wrote in message

I'm wondering what the excel file format looks like as I would like to
be able an existing excel file from another Win32 application. Or are
there better ways to do this (using win32 API)

thanks
/johan

Dnereb[_8_]

excel file format

The older versions used the BIFF format if you search for it you can
find some VB(A) examples to read and write these files without using
Excel.
The drawback is it's version 3.0, and a lot of formatting is not
documented or possible.
It's a nice way out if someone has to create an excel file with data on
a machine without Excel.

--
Dnereb
Dnereb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26182

NickHK

excel file format

Dnereb,
Well, yes. If the OP wants to have all the bells and whistles that the
latest Excel has to offer, then Automation is the only way to go.
If only the basics with formatting etc are required then this method works
fine.
If he needs more functionality, he can always examine the BIFF file format
and expand the class.

NickHK

"Dnereb" wrote in
message ...

The older versions used the BIFF format if you search for it you can
find some VB(A) examples to read and write these files without using
Excel.
The drawback is it's version 3.0, and a lot of formatting is not
documented or possible.
It's a nice way out if someone has to create an excel file with data on
a machine without Excel.

--
Dnereb
Dnereb's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=396499

Stephen Bullen[_4_]

excel file format

Hi Johan

Many people take the easy route of automating Excel to build the
workbook. An alternative if you're willing to restrict it to Excel 2002
or later is to build an XML file that conforms to the XML-SS schema.
Search http://msdn.microsoft.com for XML-SS for more information.

Regards

Stephen Bullen
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Professional Excel Development
The most advanced Excel VBA book available
www.oaltd.co.uk/ProExcelDev