-   -   How do I determine if it is a new file or an existing file? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/335053-how-do-i-determine-if-new-file-existing-file.html)

Conan Kelly

How do I determine if it is a new file or an existing file?

How can I tell (via VBA code) if the workbook is a new workbook from a
template or an existing workbook?

If it is a new workbook, I want to SaveAs and give it a name. If it is an
existing file, I just want to save it.

I already understand the SaveAs and Save methods. I just don't know how to
check whether it is new or existing.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

Ron de Bruin

How do I determine if it is a new file or an existing file?

Hi Conan

A workbook that is not saved one time have no path so you can test it like this.

Sub test()
If ActiveWorkbook.Path = "" Then
MsgBox "New workbook"
Else
MsgBox "Old workbook"

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Conan Kelly" <CTBarbarin at msn dot com wrote in message ...
How can I tell (via VBA code) if the workbook is a new workbook from a template or an existing workbook?

If it is a new workbook, I want to SaveAs and give it a name. If it is an existing file, I just want to save it.

I already understand the SaveAs and Save methods. I just don't know how to check whether it is new or existing.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide,

Conan Kelly

ben

How do I determine if it is a new file or an existing file?

try this

sub checknew()
if workbooks("namehere").path = "" then
'workbook is new
else
'workbook is not new
end if
end sub
--
When you lose your mind, you free your life.