-   -   Retrieving cell formatting from closed workbook (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/334577-retrieving-cell-formatting-closed-workbook.html)

Paul Harvey

Retrieving cell formatting from closed workbook

Hey guys, I've studied C++ for a couple of years, but I am somewhat new to
Excel VBA -- so I was wondering if you could help me out. Here's the problem:

Currently, I have a GetValue function which pulls a cell's value from a
closed workbook and an OutputData function which stores the value in the
corresponding cell of the active sheet, however the cell's formatting is lost
in the process. Is it possible to carry any of the cell's formatting across
and, if so, could someone advise me on how to do this? In particular, what
objects, classes, or functions might I need? Also, would a GetFormat function
call from GetValue slow the processing speed down much more than just passing
more parameters to the GetValue function?

Thanks.

Private Function GetValue(path, file, sheet, ref)

Dim arg As String

arg = "'" & path & "[" & file & "]" & sheet & "'!" &
Range(ref).Range("A1").address(, , xlR1C1)

GetValue = ExecuteExcel4Macro(arg)

End Function

Private Function OutputData(File, InputRow, OutputRow, FileDone)

p = PathName(File)
f = FileName(File)
s = "InputSheet"

Do

For c = 1 To 20
a = Cells(InputRow, c).address
Activesheet.Cells(OutputRow, c) = GetValue(p, f, s, a)
Next c

InputRow = InputRow + 1
If Not FileDone Then OutputRow = OutputRow + 1

Exit Do
FileDone = True
Loop

End Function