-   -   CountIf question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/334275-countif-question.html)

narutard[_3_]

CountIf question

hello

i was wondering if i could use the countif function using variables
instead of having set constants

i.e. =countif(R[-2]C[1]:RC[2],""search"")

but i want = countif(R[VAR1]C:[VAR2]:RC[2],""search"")

i cant' seem to get the VAR1 part to work..maybe its my equation or
maybe i should use a different equation..

thanks for your help

--
narutard
narutard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25111

Tom Ogilvy

CountIf question

=countif(indirect("R[" & R1C1 & "]C[" & R1C2 & "]:RC[2]"),"Search")

Assuming your sheet is in R1C1 mode. R1C1 contains the first Var and R1C2
contains the second VAR in your example.

Tom Ogilvy

"narutard" wrote in
message ...

hello

i was wondering if i could use the countif function using variables
instead of having set constants

i.e. =countif(R[-2]C[1]:RC[2],""search"")

but i want = countif(R[VAR1]C:[VAR2]:RC[2],""search"")

i cant' seem to get the VAR1 part to work..maybe its my equation or
maybe i should use a different equation..

thanks for your help

--
narutard
narutard's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=386432

narutard[_9_]

CountIf question

hi

i was wondering if it was possibel to declare the countif function w/o
using the Range function before it..

range(something).select
"=countif(R[" & unknown & "]C[-3]:RC[-3],""SEARCH"")"

in the previous post there was the word indirect.. i' m not sure what
that does but when i took it out ..my countif worked! ..so..i'm not
sure whether the "indirect" is essential for what i need to do

is it possible instead of declaring a range (because i'm using a LOOP
already w/ a specified range already) to insert a set of coodinates
instead..i.e. the countif function needs somewhere to start LOOKING
somewhere

thanks

--
narutard

[...]

[...]