-   -   copy equation to new row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/332218-copy-equation-new-row.html)

Wonderer[_2_]

copy equation to new row

I have created a basic check book ledger and I use a macro to add a row when
I need more space. It adds the row ok, but it does not add the equation from
the "balance" column to the balance cell in the new row. How do I accomplish
that? Here is an example of the equations. I add the row to the top, so that
my most recent balance is seen upon opening the sheet.

=IF(AND(ISBLANK(E4),ISBLANK(G4)),"",H5+E4-G4)
=IF(AND(ISBLANK(E5),ISBLANK(G5)),"",H6+E5-G5)
=IF(AND(ISBLANK(E6),ISBLANK(G6)),"",H7+E6-G6)
=IF(AND(ISBLANK(E7),ISBLANK(G7)),"",H8+E7-G7)

The code that I use to add the row is as follows. What do I need to the
code, to get it to add in the equation as well?

Sub Insert_Row()

'sets the password
Const Password = "check" '**Change password here**

'unprotectes the sheet
Sheet1.Unprotect Password:=Password

'inserts the row
Rows("3:3").Insert Shift:=xlDown, _
CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromRightOrBelow

'selects cell B3
[B3].Select

'protectes the sheet
Sheet1.Protect Password:=Password
Sheet1.EnableSelection = xlUnlockedCells

Steven Shelton

There are two secrets to success in life
1) Never tell anybody everything you know

K Dales[_2_]

copy equation to new row

It appears that column H has the balance formula - correct? Assuming that is
so, then put this line of code someplace after you insert the new line:
Range(H3).Formula = "=IF(AND(ISBLANK(E3),ISBLANK(G3)),"",H4+E3-G3)

--
- K Dales

"Wonderer" wrote:

[...]

I do not understand what you mean by "put this line of code someplace after
you insert the new line" Please explain or give an example.

--

"Wonderer" wrote:

[...]

Sorry if not clear: it really doesn't matter where it goes as long as it is
after this:

'inserts the row
Rows("3:3").Insert Shift:=xlDown, _
CopyOrigin:=xlFormatFromRightOrBelow

So right after that you could put:

' copies the formula:

"Wonderer" wrote:

[...]

Yes, Mike is right - very sloppy on my part, sorry!
--
- K Dales

"Mike Fogleman" wrote:

Range("H3") , notice the Quotes.

Range("H3").Formula = "=IF(AND(ISBLANK(E3),ISBLANK(G3)),"",H4+E3-G3)"

Mike F

" Wonderer" wrote in message
Part of the problem was that it was not saving the code, for some reason.
I got it to save and tried it again and the following error occured

run-time error '1004':
Method 'range' of object '_Global' failed