-   -   How do I perform a function based on certain criteria? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/329465-how-do-i-perform-function-based-certain-criteria.html)

SMKDonde

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

I have monthly worksheets containing several columns of information. I would
like to perform different functions and calculation

Bob Phillips[_7_]

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

namely?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SMKDonde" wrote in message
I have monthly worksheets containing several columns of information. I

would
like to perform different functions and calculation

David

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

Hi,
I think you will have to be a little more specific.

"SMKDonde" wrote:

I have monthly worksheets containing several columns of information. I would
like to perform different functions and calculation

SMKDonde

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

I didn't have any room to type anymore when I entered it. Here's the deal.
I have a file with monthly worksheets that contain several columns of
information. Basically what I want to do is take several of the columns (1
at a time) and perform functions such as sum; countif; avg; etc. based on
certain criteria in a column (ie: new or used; salesperson; model; etc.). I
know that excel can do this ... I've just never done any programming and I
need to learn how. Thanks for any input you can give.

"SMKDonde" wrote:

I have monthly worksheets containing several columns of information. I would
like to perform different functions and calculation

Bob Phillips[_7_]

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

As an example

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="value1),--(B1:B1000=17))

this will count all the items in column A that match value1, and where the
corresponding value in column B is 17. If you want to add up a further
value, then

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="value1),--(B1:B1000=17),C1:C1000)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SMKDonde" wrote:

I have monthly worksheets containing several columns of information.

I would
like to perform different functions and calculation

SMKDonde

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

specific example of something I need to do is as follows: Two different
columns are labeled as such ... column A (Type), column E (make). One
calculation I want to set to do automatically is if the type (column A) is N
(new) then perform the function countif on column E.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

namely?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SMKDonde" wrote in message
I have monthly worksheets containing several columns of information. I

would
like to perform different functions and calculation

Duke Carey

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

SMK -

Your description is *still* rather ambiguous & vague, but nothing that
you've described sounds as though it needs VBA. Sounds more as though you
need to look into Pivot Tables for the data.

"SMKDonde" wrote:

I have monthly worksheets containing several columns of information. I would
like to perform different functions and calculation

Bob Phillips[_7_]

How do I perform a function based on certain criteria?

As an example

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"N)

no need for E

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SMKDonde" wrote in message
specific example of something I need to do is as follows: Two different
columns are labeled as such ... column A (Type), column E (make). One
calculation I want to set to do automatically is if the type (column A) is

(new) then perform the function countif on column E.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

namely?

--
HTH