-   -   Making Address function & references as links to external files ?? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/328165-making-address-function-references-links-external-files.html)

dalejrstwin

Making Address function & references as links to external files ??

If try this in Help:

Absolute reference to another workbook and worksheet ([Book1]Sheet1!R2C3)

And I type this code: G4 is a text: RDCForecastHV-04172005.CSV

=ADDRESS(3,2,1,FALSE,G4)

I get this result:

'RDCForecastHV-04172005.CSV'!R3C2

But it won't link to a file.

If I just type in a cell: or Link it directly as this:

='RDCForecastHV-04172005.CSV'!$B$3

I get some arbitrary data result: 134 in the other file.

IF I take it a step furthur: I want to lookup data in a filename I'm
creating, use a variable input for my match, and pull data from specific
columns of that variable row. I'm doing this to short cut updating and
adding more links to a excel file from multiple data sources that I want to
continue add to my main file.

Has anyone ever accomplished this task? I would really like to get it to
work, the alternative is create 20 links into 4 seperate files for each day
of the week for each another variable of data of upto 20 match possibilities.

Thanks,
Dennis