-   -   Need help referencing an embedded file in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/328079-need-help-referencing-embedded-file-excel.html)

teepee[_4_]

Need help referencing an embedded file in Excel

Hello - might I ask help of the experts here please?

I have a macro in a spreadsheet that references back to a video file (Mfile=
"test.avi") I want to e-mail the spreadsheet to a friend but in order to do
so, she will have to separately copy the file test.avi to her c drive to
make the macro function. This is inconvenientas she is not computer
literate.

Obviously I can embed the file test.avi into the spreadsheet as an object,
but how can I change the VB code to directly reference it. I'm no VB expert,
so any help would be appreciated

Best

TP

--

Vasant Nanavati

Need help referencing an embedded file in Excel

For example:

Sheet1.OLEObjects("Object 1")

You can determine the name of the object by clicking on it and looking at
the Name Box (to the left of the Formula Bar).

--

Vasant

"teepee" wrote in message
Hello - might I ask help of the experts here please?

I have a macro in a spreadsheet that references back to a video file

(Mfile=
"test.avi") I want to e-mail the spreadsheet to a friend but in order to

do
so, she will have to separately copy the file test.avi to her c drive to
make the macro function. This is inconvenientas she is not computer
literate.

Obviously I can embed the file test.avi into the spreadsheet as an object,
but how can I change the VB code to directly reference it. I'm no VB

expert,
so any help would be appreciated

Best

TP

--

teepee[_4_]

Need help referencing an embedded file in Excel

Thanks so much for replying Vasant

So what's the syntax if it's object 6928?
I tried ...

Mfile = Sheet1.OLEObjects("Object 6928")

....but that didn't work.

Sorry I'm ignorant of vb syntax

tp

"teepee" wrote in message
[...]

Dim Mfile As Object
Set Mfile = Sheet1.OLEObjects("Object 6928")

--

Vasant

"teepee" wrote in message
[...]

"Vasant Nanavati" wrote...
Dim Mfile As Object
Set Mfile = Sheet1.OLEObjects("Object 6928")

Hmm no luck

The whole subcommand for this button now reads

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Dim Mfile As Object
Set Mfile = Results.OLEObjects("Object 6928")
MP.Open (Mfile)
End Sub

(results being the name of the sheet and media player being what opens it)
It says runtime error 424 object required

Vasant Nanavati

Need help referencing an embedded file in Excel

This worked for me:

Sub PlayIt()
Dim Mfile As Object
Set Mfile = Worksheets("Results").OLEObjects("Object 6928")
Mfile.Verb

Vasant

"teepee" wrote in message

[...]

Heh thanks for trying. it's appreciated.
That one opened it but as a completely separate file using my normal default
player- not with the embedded windows media player as I need it to. You see
the windows media player timer position is one of the inputs to the
spreadsheet 8-)

Oh well - back to the drawing board....

Vasant Nanavati

Need help referencing an embedded file in Excel

I think you've lost me. When I ran the code my video file played as an
embedded file on the Excel worksheet, and not as a separate file in Media
Player. I'm using Win2K Pro and Excel XP.

--

Vasant

"teepee" wrote in message

[...]

Yes it's hard to explain. I've e-mailed you the spreadsheet so you'll see
what I mean.