-   -   Adding Qty based on Item (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/327545-adding-qty-based-item.html)

Nagar

Adding Qty based on Item

Hi I have sorted a worksheet on items.. and beside next to items i have
qty.. I would like to add the qty based on item numner of description (i have
both) at the same time i don't want to delete any data.. Any suggestion

E.g
Bread 10
Bread 10
Bread 10
Soap 5
Soap 5

End result
Bread 10 30
bread 10
bread 10
Soap 5 10
Soap 5

JE McGimpsey

Adding Qty based on Item

One way:

C1: =SUMIF(A:A,A1,B:B)

Copy down as required.

If you only want the first item in a sorted list to show the sum, try

C1: =SUMIF(A:A,A1,B:B)
C2: =IF(A2<A1,SUMIF(A:A,A2,B:B),"")

and copy C2 down as far as necessary.

You may also want to take a look at the Data/Subtotals function.