-   -   Look up function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/327387-re-look-up-function.html)

Tom Ogilvy

Look up function

Use the match function on column B for descending data

See help in Excel on the match function. (combine with Index to get the
value from column A).

=INDEX(A1:A3,MATCH(E2,B1:B3,-1),1)

you would need real dates in column B and for the lookup value.

Tom Ogilvy

"Stacy Haskins" <Stacy wrote in message
How can I return a value in a table if the lookup value is in a range

equal
to or between two other columns? I would prefer not to create a macro for
this. Is there a combination of built in funtions that would work?

Example:
Look up Payclaim letter in column 1 for the date July 1st.

A B C
1 Pay Claim Letter Start Date End Date
2 A Jul 1 Apr 3
3 B Apr 4 Mar 25