-   -   Protecting (hiding) the Code in an Add-in (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/327278-protecting-hiding-code-add.html)

John F[_2_]

Protecting (hiding) the Code in an Add-in

I have a number of add-ins that I need to protect.
One (which is used in house) is nicely "locked" up. Requires a pass-word, no
matter how I try to expand it ( double clicking, or clicking on the plus sign)

As far as I can figure, I used the same steps on the Add-in that I need to
send out Internationally.
No matter what I try, I cannot block the access to it.
I go to VBAProject Properties
Select Protection
Enter Pass-word and Pass-word Confirmation
Save the add-in

Then, when I go to check if it is locked, it just opens up again.

Please help
JFS

--
John F. Scholten

Tom Ogilvy

Protecting (hiding) the Code in an Add-in

If you are distributing an ADD-IN, you should rename it to something besides
VBAProject. You can do this in the properties for the project. Then you
will see
VBAProject_Name Properties when you go to the menu so you know you are
protecting the correct workbook

Also, you need to make sure you have saved the correct project if doing it
from the vbe. Hitting the save button doesn't always work. I usually use
the immediate window and do

Workbooks("MyProject.xls").Save

to be absolutely sure.

There isn't any other way to protect your code - nor have I seen another
post complaining that it doesn't work, so I suspect you are not assigning
the password to the correct project.

Tom Ogilvy