-   -   using match in vba without assigning a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/327228-using-match-vba-without-assigning-cell.html)

Papa Jonah

using match in vba without assigning a cell

I am trying to use the match function to assign a value to a variable.
I do not want to put the match syntax in a cell. I just want the result to
be able to be referred to later in an If then statement. I have tried:

startbase = Match(begbase, "a:a")
but that does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

Don Guillett[_4_]

using match in vba without assigning a cell

to use match

sb=application.match

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I am trying to use the match function to assign a value to a variable.
I do not want to put the match syntax in a cell. I just want the result

be able to be referred to later in an If then statement. I have tried:

startbase = Match(begbase, "a:a")
but that does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

Papa Jonah

using match in vba without assigning a cell

I am trying this:
sb=application.match(begbase,a2:a20)
and not having any success.
Did I misunderstand?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

to use match

sb=application.match

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I am trying to use the match function to assign a value to a variable.
I do not want to put the match syntax in a cell. I just want the result

be able to be referred to later in an If then statement. I have tried:

startbase = Match(begbase, "a:a")
but that does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

Don Guillett[_4_]

using match in vba without assigning a cell

what is begbase??? If a range try [begbase]

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I am trying this:
sb=application.match(begbase,a2:a20)
and not having any success.
Did I misunderstand?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

to use match

sb=application.match

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I am trying to use the match function to assign a value to a variable.
I do not want to put the match syntax in a cell. I just want the

result
be able to be referred to later in an If then statement. I have

tried:

startbase = Match(begbase, "a:a")
but that does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

Bernie Deitrick

using match in vba without assigning a cell

Papa,

Try:

sb=application.match(begbase,Range("a2:a20"))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I am trying this:
sb=application.match(begbase,a2:a20)
and not having any success.
Did I misunderstand?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

to use match

sb=application.match

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I am trying to use the match function to assign a value to a variable.
I do not want to put the match syntax in a cell. I just want the

result
be able to be referred to later in an If then statement. I have

tried:

startbase = Match(begbase, "a:a")
but that does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

Dave Peterson[_5_]

using match in vba without assigning a cell

dim sb as variant

sb = application.match(begbase,worksheets("sheet1").ran ge("a2:a20"))

or for an exact match
sb = application.match(begbase,worksheets("sheet1").ran ge("a2:a20"),0)

Papa Jonah wrote:

I am trying this:
sb=application.match(begbase,a2:a20)
and not having any success.
Did I misunderstand?

"Don Guillett" wrote:

to use match

sb=application.match

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Papa Jonah" wrote in message
I am trying to use the match function to assign a value to a variable.
I do not want to put the match syntax in a cell. I just want the result

be able to be referred to later in an If then statement. I have tried:

startbase = Match(begbase, "a:a")
but that does not work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA

--

Dave Peterson

Papa Jonah

using match in vba without assigning a cell

Thanks everyone!

Papa Jonah wrote:

I am trying this:
sb=application.match(begbase,a2:a20)