-   -   Selecting and editing unlocked cells problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/327119-selecting-editing-unlocked-cells-problem.html)

John Keith[_2_]

Selecting and editing unlocked cells problem

Im using Excel 2002,
I want to protect my workbook/worksheet(s) and allow anyone to change a few
specific non-contiguous ranges on some of the sheets. Any locked cell
clicked on should do nothing. Any unlocked cell clicked on should allow
editing.

I have used ToolsProtectionAllow Users to Edit Ranges. I set up a test
range from A1:D10 to have editable (and I click "apply"). Then I click on
Protect Sheet... On this form I uncheck "Select locked Cells" and leave the
default-check on "Select unlocked cells". Then click ok.

Now, any click, anywhere on the sheet... will not select any cells, even the
ones that should allow selecting and editing.

A double click will put cell A1 into edit mode. This happens even when an
entirely different cell is dbl-clicked. I try dbl clicking in C5, for
example, (definitely inside the allow-edit range) and cell A1 gets the cursor
in edit mode.

If I just keep the 2 default checks on the "Protect Sheet" dialog message
box... it all works just fine (the cells that will and wont allow editing..
is just as expected) Only this still allows selecting of locked cells (but
no editing is allowed)

How do I get excel to allow editing in the ranges I want, and disallow
selecting of the protected cells?

If there is a solution to this problem... Will VBA still allow a protected
cell to be modified? (perhaps with some extra coding to unprotect and
re-protect the workbook/sheets)

John