-   -   How do I count blank cells in a column of dates? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/327087-how-do-i-count-blank-cells-column-dates.html)

Ron[_31_]

How do I count blank cells in a column of dates?

I have a column of dates... I am essentially counting the
amount of time that has elapsed from the point that the
case was assigned to the date it was completed... This I
figured out... What I want to do is count all of the
incomplete cases.. by way of counting the empty cells...
Please be aware that I am not a very advanced user..
please try to dumb it down.

Thanks,
Ron

Datasort

How do I count blank cells in a column of dates?

I am going to assume you have all your cases in a table:

Example:

A B C
Case ID Start End
Case1 1/1/05 1/15/05
Case 2 1/1/05
Case 3 1/15/05 1/18/05

You can use a formula called CountA which counts all the cells that have a
value:

Counta(A2:a5)-CountA(c2:c5) would work
That is the total off all cases less the cases solved

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Stewart Rogers

No Name

How do I count blank cells in a column of dates?

There is no table... basically I have it set up as column
A B C... A being in date... B being out date and C days
o/s what I want to track is cases o/s so any blank cells
in column B

Cheers,
Ron
I am going to assume you have all your cases in a table:

Example:

A B C
Case ID Start End
Case1 1/1/05 1/15/05
Case 2 1/1/05
Case 3 1/15/05 1/18/05

You can use a formula called CountA which counts all the

cells that have a
value:

Counta(A2:a5)-CountA(c2:c5) would work
That is the total off all cases less the cases solved

Let me know if this works.

Regards,

Stewart Rogers

.

Andrea Jones

How do I count blank cells in a column of dates?

Click in the cell where you want the answer and type =COUNTBLANK(B1:B5)
(replace B1:B5 with the range of cells containing your completion dates and
blanks).

Andrea Jones

"Ron" wrote:

I have a column of dates... I am essentially counting the
amount of time that has elapsed from the point that the
case was assigned to the date it was completed... This I
figured out... What I want to do is count all of the
incomplete cases.. by way of counting the empty cells...
Please be aware that I am not a very advanced user..
please try to dumb it down.

Thanks,
Ron

No Name

How do I count blank cells in a column of dates?

Andrea,
worked like a charm.... Awesome!!!!

Ron