Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default finding last line in macro

How do I code a macro (or keystroke it) to find the last row that has data in
a column without harcoding the macro to a specific row? I have sections of
data (every 6th row is blank) and I want to be able to find the absolute last
row that has data in it for column B no matter where that last row is. Thanx.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Insert the following near the beging of your code:

Range("B65536").Select
Selection.End(xlUp).Select

If you want the row number:
r = ActiveCell.Row

"GJR3599" wrote:

How do I code a macro (or keystroke it) to find the last row that has data in
a column without harcoding the macro to a specific row? I have sections of
data (every 6th row is blank) and I want to be able to find the absolute last
row that has data in it for column B no matter where that last row is. Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Glenn,

WHY the selects? Is there a need to write slow code on purpose.?

r= Activesheet.Cells(rows.count,2).end(xlup).row

--
keepITcool

"GJR3599" wrote:

How do I code a macro (or keystroke it) to find the last row that
has data in a column without harcoding the macro to a specific row?
I have sections of data (every 6th row is blank) and I want to be
able to find the absolute last row that has data in it for column B
no matter where that last row is. Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Not trying to be slow; just trying to show one way of getting the row.

Here's less code by 17 characters:
r = Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row

"GJR3599" wrote:

How do I code a macro (or keystroke it) to find the last row that
has data in a column without harcoding the macro to a specific row?
I have sections of data (every 6th row is blank) and I want to be
able to find the absolute last row that has data in it for column B
no matter where that last row is. Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Glenn you miss the point:

17 characters less in a line of code dont necessarily mean it's faster.
(although using the global Range object in this case is)

my point was that the 2 SELECT statements in your original reply
truely and unnecessarily slows down the code and necessitates
screenupdating = false

by using Activesheet it's clearer to OP which sheet is used.
by using Rows.count it will work in future versions.

--
keepITcool

www.XLsupport.com | keepITcool chello nl | amsterdam

"GJR3599" wrote:

How do I code a macro (or keystroke it) to find the last row
that has data in a column without harcoding the macro to a
specific row? I have sections of data (every 6th row is blank)
and I want to be able to find the absolute last row that has
data in it for column B no matter where that last row is. Thanx.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

by using Rows.count it will work in future versions

Good point.
Do you think MS would ever increase the number of rows and/or columns?
If there are no performance drawbacks from that I wouldn't mind 1000.000
rows and say 1000 columns.

RBS

.com...