-   -   Column numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/324838-column-numbers.html)

gmunro

Column numbers

Hello,

My column headers are showing as numbers, not Letters.
That is, Cell A1 is actually R1C1

Is there an easy way to switch this back?

Glen

Toppers

Column numbers

Tools==Options==General--Settings and turn off R1!C1 reference style.

"gmunro" wrote:

Hello,

My column headers are showing as numbers, not Letters.
That is, Cell A1 is actually R1C1

Is there an easy way to switch this back?

Glen

gmunro

Column numbers

I tried that first. Now to change it back, I get a pop up window that
says
Name Conflict
Name cannot resemble a reference.
Old Name F27
New Name (Input box)

I don't know how to get past this.

Toppers

Column numbers

In the original spreadsheet there must a Named Range called F27 which when
you convert to the new (A1) format it thinks is a cell reference (F27) and
hence an invalid name.

When the input box appears, just enter another name e.g. CellF27 and hit OK.
This will solve the problem. You can then rename CEllF27 to what ever you
want.

(I tried this and it works OK for me).

HTH

"gmunro" wrote:

I tried that first. Now to change it back, I get a pop up window that
says
Name Conflict
Name cannot resemble a reference.
Old Name F27