-   -   Using FSO to get Excel data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/324757-using-fso-get-excel-data.html)

RustyR

Using FSO to get Excel data

I hope there is an easy answer to this!

I have an active server page which dynamically shows all files in a
directory.
Based on the file name, using FSO, I use the first 5 chars to create a link
to another tool and MID to gather other info from the title which helps
populate other table cells.
My question is this:
Is there a way using VBScript to grab the value of a certain cell within the
spreadsheet?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Regards,
Rusty

keepITcool

Using FSO to get Excel data

Rusty

You can use ADO to query ranges in closed excel files
without the need for excel to be installed on the server.

sPath = "D:\TestDB.xls"
Dim vTemp(4),i
Set oCon = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Set oRst = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
oCon.Open _
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
"Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;Data Source=" & sPath

oRst.Open "SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$A1:A4]", oCon, 3

'do your stuff...

If oRst.State Then oRst.Close
If oCon.State Then oCon.Close
Set oRst = Nothing
Set oCon = Nothing

Plenty to google on ADO in this group and elsewhere..
HTH

--
keepITcool

RustyR wrote :

I hope there is an easy answer to this!

I have an active server page which dynamically shows all files in a
directory.
Based on the file name, using FSO, I use the first 5 chars to create
a link to another tool and MID to gather other info from the title
which helps populate other table cells.
My question is this:
Is there a way using VBScript to grab the value of a certain cell
within the spreadsheet?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Regards,
Rusty