-   -   Problem with RegWrite (Permission) (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/324722-problem-regwrite-permission.html)

Mary

Problem with RegWrite (Permission)

Hi All,

I put into my Excel Spreadsheet a macro which would modify the registry, but
I seem to be having problems with permission in order to do so. I found that
the code that I have created works for a Windows 2000 machine but it doesn't
work for a Window XP machine where it says that there is a bug on the fifth
line below:
Dim RegistryKey As String
Dim KeyExist As Long
RegistryKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Comm on\Security"
KeyExist = oShell.RegRead(RegistryKey)

Is there any way around it?
Thanks heaps in advance!!!

Cheers,
Mary

NickHK

Problem with RegWrite (Permission)

Mary,
I do not have that key on my machine, W2K, Office2000.
But I do have:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Co mmon\Security

Permissions is another issue.
If you use the Registry API (e.g. RegOpenKeyEx etc) you can set the
permission desired.If the does have that permission, you cannot accept that
branch.

NickHK