-   -   used range question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/323054-used-range-question.html)

Andreas Beresko

used range question

Hi,

I'm using Office Automation to work on an excelsheet...
I need to count the filled rows, I do this by following code:

Range range;
Range usedRange;
range = actualSheet.GetUsedRange();
usedRange = range.GetRows();
int nRows = usedRange.GetCount();

When I create a new Excel Sheet this works fine, but with some files i get
wrong values in nRows.
The file www.beresko.de/test.xls has 1220 filled rows but my code returns a
value of 2295.

Is this my fault or a bug, can anyone help me?

best regards
Andreas

Bob Phillips[_6_]

used range question

Andreas,

When the used range gets set, it stays at that point even if rows get
deleted. You need to force a reset, so see
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused for some help.

--

HTH

RP

"Andreas Beresko" wrote in message

I'm using Office Automation to work on an excelsheet...
I need to count the filled rows, I do this by following code:

Range range;
Range usedRange;
range = actualSheet.GetUsedRange();
usedRange = range.GetRows();
int nRows = usedRange.GetCount();

When I create a new Excel Sheet this works fine, but with some files i get
wrong values in nRows.
The file www.beresko.de/test.xls has 1220 filled rows but my code returns

value of 2295.

Is this my fault or a bug, can anyone help me?

best regards
Andreas

Tom Ogilvy

used range question

It isn't a bug - it is an incorrect interpretation of what UsedRange
defines. UsedRange defines the area Excel maintains detailed information
on. An excel worksheet can have 65536 rows x 256 columns, but any area that
is not used, is virtual. Excel does not maintain any information on that
area. Other changed besides containing visible values can cause excel to
maintain information on an area.

If your worksheets is set up like a database with information beginning in
A1, try using

Range("A1").CurrentRegion

Tom Ogilvy

[...]

Thanks a lot, this works fine :-)