-   -   Shell command ignores parameters (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/322654-shell-command-ignores-parameters.html)

Pete[_22_]

Shell command ignores parameters

Hi all

I wrote an Excel VBA program to run (Shells to) a DOS program (not mine)
which deals bridge hands called "Big Deal"
It takes certain parameters such as the number of hands required, the name
of the output file and the type (e.g. CSV)

This all worked perfectly under Excel 2000 (Windows 98)
I have now converted/upgraded to Windows XP Home and Excel 2003 and have now
found that the parameters (NoOfHands and Hands, etc) are ignored and have
to be (re)typed at run time

Why is this? Has there been a change in the Shell command under Windows XP
or is the problem with Excel 2003?

The lines I use (which worked under the old setup) are list below:

Dim NoOfHands As Integer
(Note: the input control routine for NoOfHands has, for brevity, been
omitted)
Program = "C:\Simultaneous Tournament\Unlimited\Bigdeal\bigdeal -n " &
NoOfHands & " -p Hands -f csv"
TaskID = Shell(Program, vbNormalFocus)

Peter Bircher
South Africa