-   -   Autofill functionality with Validation (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/321375-autofill-functionality-validation.html)

140mphcpa

Autofill functionality with Validation

Does anyone know of a way to add autofill functionality to Validation?
I have a list of 700 items on a seperate spreadsheet and am using the
drop-down list function in XL. I would like to be able to enter a few
letters of the item and have the nearest item "fill-in". I've been
searching the web for the last hour and have found a few VB options but
they are for combo boxes and I'm not sure if they would be transferable
to what I'm doing. Thanks.

Jon

gocush[_29_]

Autofill functionality with Validation

this isn't an autofill solution but it may get you part way there if you cant
find it exactly:

http://contextures.com/DataValSelectName.xls

"140mphcpa" wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to add autofill functionality to Validation?
I have a list of 700 items on a seperate spreadsheet and am using the
drop-down list function in XL. I would like to be able to enter a few
letters of the item and have the nearest item "fill-in". I've been
searching the web for the last hour and have found a few VB options but
they are for combo boxes and I'm not sure if they would be transferable
to what I'm doing. Thanks.

Jon

Jason Morin

Autofill functionality with Validation

A combobox works nicely to quickly fill in the word. When
using Validation, you can engage AutoComplete by copying
the same list of words directly under or below the
Validation cell. Then hide those rows or the contents in
the cells.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA