-   -   AND and OR in Conditional Formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/319557-conditional-formatting.html)

Compass Rose

AND and OR in Conditional Formatting

Can AND and OR be used in the formula of a conditional formatting?

Cell E3 contains a date. I have set the E3 conditional formatting as follows:

CF1 formula is =+E3="" format cell with black font, white cell color
CF2 formula is =E3<=TODAY() format cell with yellow font, red cell color
CF3 formula is =E3TODAY() format cell with black font, green cell color

I would like CF1 formula to be =+E3="" OR D3<"" format cell with black
font, white cell color, but I get a syntax error message.

Is there other syntax I should use, or is this not possible?

TIA
David R.

JE McGimpsey

AND and OR in Conditional Formatting

One way:

CF1: =OR(E3="",D3<"")

Note that your "+" is superfluous in XL. It's a Lotus-ism.

In article ,
Compass Rose wrote:

Can AND and OR be used in the formula of a conditional formatting?

Cell E3 contains a date. I have set the E3 conditional formatting as follows:

CF1 formula is =+E3="" format cell with black font, white cell color
CF2 formula is =E3<=TODAY() format cell with yellow font, red cell color
CF3 formula is =E3TODAY() format cell with black font, green cell color

I would like CF1 formula to be =+E3="" OR D3<"" format cell with black
font, white cell color, but I get a syntax error message.

Is there other syntax I should use, or is this not possible?

TIA
David R.

Bob Phillips[_6_]

AND and OR in Conditional Formatting

Quite simple

=OR(E3="",D3<"")

AND is used in the same way.

BTW, there is no need for a + in =+E3, =E3 is sufficient.

--

HTH

RP