-   -   Find Excel path (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/318820-find-excel-path.html)

Lieven Mettepenningen[_2_]

Find Excel path

Hello,

could anyone tell me how to find the exact path of the Excel application in
the registry, independent of the Office version installed on the PC?

Thx,

Lieven

Ben McBen[_2_]

Find Excel path

I suspect I may be being a "spoilt corporate" gere (only
having work with fairly recent vwersions) - so I dont know
when:

Application.Path

was implemented.

ttfn benm

Bob Phillips[_6_]

Find Excel path

Lieven,

Bit confused on the question.

The registry will only reflect versions of Excel that have been installed.
It may have old data there, but it won't have anything about versions that
have not been installed.

Can you be more specific?

--

HTH

RP

"Lieven Mettepenningen" wrote in message
Hello,

could anyone tell me how to find the exact path of the Excel application

in
the registry, independent of the Office version installed on the PC?

Thx,

Lieven

Tom Ogilvy

Find Excel path

I know it is available in xl97 and later and suspect it has been available
since xl5.

Tom Ogilvy

"Ben McBen" wrote in message
I suspect I may be being a "spoilt corporate" gere (only
having work with fairly recent vwersions) - so I dont know
when:

Application.Path

was implemented.

ttfn benm

Harald Staff

Find Excel path

Confirmed. Runs fine in Excel 5.

Best wishes Harald

"Tom Ogilvy" skrev i melding

"Ben McBen" wrote in message
I suspect I may be being a "spoilt corporate" gere (only
having work with fairly recent vwersions) - so I dont know
when:

Application.Path

was implemented.

ttfn benm

Dave Peterson[_5_]

Find Excel path

If you're not running this from excel, something like this will give you the
default program associated with .xls files.

Option Explicit
Public Declare Function FindExecutable Lib "shell32.dll" _
Alias "FindExecutableA" ( _
ByVal lpFile As String, _
ByVal lpDirectory As String, _
ByVal lpResult As String) As Long

Sub FindXLSprogram()
Dim FName As String
Dim ExeName As String
Dim Pos As Integer
Dim Path As String
Dim FileNumber As Long

ExeName = String(255, 0)
FName = Environ("temp") & "\someuniquenamegoeshere.xls"

FileNumber = FreeFile
On Error Resume Next
Kill FName
On Error GoTo 0

Open FName For Append As FileNumber
Close FileNumber

FindExecutable FName, "", ExeName

On Error Resume Next
Kill FName
On Error GoTo 0

Pos = InStrRev(ExeName, "\")
Path = Left(ExeName, Pos - 1)

Debug.Print "Full File Name: " & ExeName
Debug.Print "Folder Name: " & Path

End Sub

(Lots of this was stolen from a post by Chip Pearson.)