-   -   Return a random letter (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/318391-re-return-random-letter.html)

Bernard Liengme

Return a random letter

You do not need to "assigning all the letters of the alphabet to numbers
between 1 and 26 "
Each letter already has a number assigned to it - its ASCII code
A-Z are in range 65-90 and a-z in range 97-122
Use you random number function to get a value with in the right range and
use the VBA function CHR(n) to return the character.

best wishes

--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"quartz" wrote in message
I have the following function which works great for returning a random
number in a range from a specified low to a specified high:

Public Function RandomNumbers(argLow As Long, argHigh As Long) As Long

'RETURN A RANDOM NUMBER BETWEEN 'argLow' AND 'argHigh'
Randomize
RandomNumbers = CLng((argHigh - argLow) * Rnd + argLow)

End Function

Now I need a similar function that would return a random letter between A
and Z. Can anyone suggest a more efficient method than just assigning all
the
letters of the alphabet to numbers between 1 and 26 to return a random
letter?

Thanks in advance.