-   -   Format() doesn't work from a Form (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/316399-format-doesnt-work-form.html)

chad

Format() doesn't work from a Form

I have two add-ins that I created for excel 2000. Each add-in uses the
format function to reformat dates, etc. The module from add-in #1 is now
giving me this error:

"Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment."

Here is my code that I am running on each module:

sub test()
msgbox format(cdate(date),"mm-dddd-yy")
end sub

(the actual code I'm running is obviously more involved, this is just a test
macro)

On the module for add-in #2 it runs fine, on the other I recieve the error
message. I'm sure it's a simple thing I've overlooked but I'm unable to find
it. I clicked on "Tools" and "References" and they both have the same
references checked off. I'm at a loss.

Andy Pope

Format() doesn't work from a Form

Hi,

It's possible there is a Subroutine or Function with the same name as a
built in one but with different arguments or return variable.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info

CDrews

Format() doesn't work from a Form

I know this is not it, but you do realize that you have 4 positions
for the day section.
msgbox format(cdate(date),"mm-DDDD-yy")
This would give the error you are recieving.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:29:04 -0800, "Chad"
wrote:

I have two add-ins that I created for excel 2000. Each add-in uses the
format function to reformat dates, etc. The module from add-in #1 is now
giving me this error:

"Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment."

Here is my code that I am running on each module:

sub test()
msgbox format(cdate(date),"mm-dddd-yy")
end sub

(the actual code I'm running is obviously more involved, this is just a test
macro)

On the module for add-in #2 it runs fine, on the other I recieve the error
message. I'm sure it's a simple thing I've overlooked but I'm unable to find
it. I clicked on "Tools" and "References" and they both have the same
references checked off. I'm at a loss.

Andy Pope

Format() doesn't work from a Form

Hi CDrews,

For me that date format returns 11-Thursday-04

And according to the help file you can use up to six d's.

<help
d Display the day as a number without a leading zero (1 – 31).
dd Display the day as a number with a leading zero (01 – 31).
ddd Display the day as an abbreviation (Sun – Sat).
dddd Display the day as a full name (Sunday – Saturday).
ddddd Display the date as a complete date (including day, month, and
year), formatted according to your system's short date format setting.
The default short date format is m/d/yy.
dddddd Display a date serial number as a complete date (including day,
month, and year) formatted according to the long date setting recognized
by your system. The default long date format is mmmm dd, yyyy.
</help

Cheers
Andy

wrote:

[...]

Heh, I found the error shortly after posting this. It's what you said, Andy.
I had a subroutine named Format. I felt pretty dumb after I found it. :)