-   -   MS Object library (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/315883-ms-object-library.html)

Thor

MS Object library

I have made an application where I send Outlook e-mail via Excel. Since
I don't know what version of Excel the user has I need a way to find the
correct reference to the MS object library.

I have seen a reference to a general "obl" that works regardless of
Outlookversion. Does anybody know where I can find it?

How can I check what mailprogram the user is running as standard,
Outlook or Outlook Express? Depending of answer I will use different
code to send mail. If the user is running a mailprogram other than MS I
would like to end the process with a message to the user.

Thanks in advance

Dick Kusleika[_4_]

MS Object library

Thor

If you want to ensure that it will work for any version of Outlook, consider
using late binding as described here
http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/olBinding.htm

As for your second question, I don't know how to find the default mail
client. I saw the same question a couple of time using Google, but none of
them were answered.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"Thor" wrote in message
I have made an application where I send Outlook e-mail via Excel. Since
I don't know what version of Excel the user has I need a way to find the
correct reference to the MS object library.

I have seen a reference to a general "obl" that works regardless of
Outlookversion. Does anybody know where I can find it?

How can I check what mailprogram the user is running as standard,
Outlook or Outlook Express? Depending of answer I will use different
code to send mail. If the user is running a mailprogram other than MS I
would like to end the process with a message to the user.

Thanks in advance

Dave Peterson[_4_]

MS Object library

Dick Kusleika has a web page at:
http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/olBinding.htm
that explains this with Outlook

Tom Ogilvy posted this recently:

Here are some more extensive references on binding:

Use late binding - don't have a reference to excel.

INFO: Writing Automation Clients for Multiple Office Versions

INFO: Using Early Binding and Late Binding in Automation

INFO: Use DISPID Binding to Automate Office Applications Whenever Possible