-   -   Problem with .CreateField in DAO (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/311389-problem-createfield-dao.html)

Alain Dionne

Problem with .CreateField in DAO

Hi everyone,

I have to add some features to an existing VB4/16 Application

My problem is I have to add a column in an excel spreadsheet.
The database connection is a "Data Control" and the *.xls file is local

I found this code in some newsgroups:

Dim fld As Object ' or DAO.Field
Data1.Refresh
Set fld = Data1.Database.TableDefs(0).CreateField("Something ", dbText)
Data1.Database.TableDefs(0).Fields.Append fld
Data1.Database.TableDefs(0).Fields.Refresh
Set fld = Nothing

When I run the line ... .Append fld I get this error:

Run-time error '3211':
This database engine couldn't lock table 'Misc1$' because it's already in
use by another person or process.

I'm the only user. This file is local. It's not read-only.
Am I missing a point here?

Alain Dionne
System Analyst