-   -   Counting cells with data in them (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/310376-re-counting-cells-data-them.html)

Dave Peterson[_3_]

Counting cells with data in them

dim myRng as range
with activesheet
set myrng = .range("d1",.range("d1").end(xldown))
end with

msgbox application.counta(myrng)

This'll count everything--including formulas that evaluate to "".

Tony wrote:

Sorry if this post came up twice. I would like to know how to do a count
function on a selection of cells. My sheet has been filtered on this column
and then the following lines are used.

Range("d1").Select
sectornum = Selection.Count

This selects all the cells down to the last cell that has data in it but
then the variable is set to the total amount of cells selected. All I want to
know is how many cells have something in them. Thank you!

--

Dave Peterson

SunTzuComm

Counting cells with data in them

Good idea! I'd forgotten about CountA. But you need to use

Set myRng = .Range("D1", .Range("D65536").End(xlUp))

because

Set myRng = .Range("d1", .Range("d1").End(xlDown))

will stop at the first empty cell in Column D. I just tried it.

Regards,
Wes

Tom Ogilvy

Counting cells with data in them

True, but this apparently isn't an issue for the original poster:

This selects all the cells down to the last cell that has data in it but

I would guess that Dave tried it several years ago and is aware of the
difference.

Tom Ogilvy

"SunTzuComm" wrote in message
Good idea! I'd forgotten about CountA. But you need to use

Set myRng = .Range("D1", .Range("D65536").End(xlUp))

because

Set myRng = .Range("d1", .Range("d1").End(xlDown))

will stop at the first empty cell in Column D. I just tried it.

Regards,
Wes

Dave Peterson[_3_]

Counting cells with data in them

In fact, I changed my post to match the OP. 'Cause sometimes there's a reason
the OP used their code. <vbg.