-   -   Calculate accuracy of original estimate (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/310305-calculate-accuracy-original-estimate.html)

Jas M

Calculate accuracy of original estimate

Hi,
Does anyone have a formula for judging the accuracy of an
initial estimated number against the final result?

e.g. if the estimate was 4 and final result is 5 then the
estimate was 75% accurate.

e.g. if the estimate was 6 and final result is 2 then the
estimate was 33% accurate.

The third scenario I need to cater for is where the
original estimate was 0 and then the final result was 1.
If I use the formula '1-d6/d3' then I get "#DIV/0!"
because you can't divide 1 by 0... The result I am
expecting is -(minus)100%. Similarly, if the original
estimate was 0 and the final result is 2 then the result
should be -(minus)200%

So, does anyone know how I can alter the formula to
accommodate this scenario? (for your reference, the full
formula that I have in the cell is 'IF(D3+D50,1-D6/D3,"")'

I would be most grateful for help as it is driving me
round the bend!

Thanks
Jas

Tom Ogilvy

Calculate accuracy of original estimate

=IF(D3=0,D6,IF(D3+D50,1-D6/D3,""))

Assumes D3 holds the estimate and D6 holds the actual result.

Tom Ogilvy

"Jas M" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Tom, I did not mention that D6 is the difference,
D3 is the original and D5 is the final result.
D6 formula is '=ABS(D3-D5'.
Using your formula I get the answer '1' (or 100%). Are you
able to change it?
many thanks
Jas

[...]

.

Tom Ogilvy

Calculate accuracy of original estimate

=IF(D3=0,-D5,IF(D3+D50,1-D6/D3,""))

produced all the results you have described (format the cell in the formula
as Per Cent.

Tom Ogilvy
"Jas M" wrote in message
[...]

No Name