-   -   Syntax when referring to self (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/308615-syntax-when-referring-self.html)

Jack Schitt

Syntax when referring to self

General syntax question:

This does not work:

With Cell_Object
If .Value = 0 And Not(IsEmpty(.) Then .EntireRow.Delete Shift:=xlUp
End With 'Cell_Object

I am looking for a general way to refer to the object that is the subject of
the "With ..." statement within that "With .." "loop".
In the above example it would be substituted for the "." contained within
the "IsEmpty() expression.
But that is just an example and I am looking for a general method.

I tried Not(IsEmpty(.me)) but whilst that compiled OK it failed on run time
(error 438, does not support property or method)

Thanks

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

AA2e72E

Syntax when referring to self

Try:

IsEmpty(.Value)

IsEmpty takes a literal value or a pointer i.e variable name or object like
ActiveCell.

"Jack Schitt" wrote:

General syntax question:

This does not work:

With Cell_Object
If .Value = 0 And Not(IsEmpty(.) Then .EntireRow.Delete Shift:=xlUp
End With 'Cell_Object

I am looking for a general way to refer to the object that is the subject of
the "With ..." statement within that "With .." "loop".
In the above example it would be substituted for the "." contained within
the "IsEmpty() expression.
But that is just an example and I am looking for a general method.

I tried Not(IsEmpty(.me)) but whilst that compiled OK it failed on run time
(error 438, does not support property or method)

Thanks

--
Return email address is not as DEEP as it appears

Alan Beban[_2_]

Jack Schitt wrote:

General syntax question:

This does not work:

With Cell_Object
If .Value = 0 And Not(IsEmpty(.) Then .EntireRow.Delete Shift:=xlUp
End With 'Cell_Object

I am looking for a general way to refer to the object that is the subject of
the "With ..." statement within that "With .." "loop".
In the above example it would be substituted for the "." contained within
the "IsEmpty() expression.
But that is just an example and I am looking for a general method.

I tried Not(IsEmpty(.me)) but whilst that compiled OK it failed on run time
(error 438, does not support property or method)

Thanks

Why doesn't .Value = 0 already negate IsEmpty(Cell_Object)?

Alan Beban

Dave Peterson[_3_]

Syntax when referring to self

VBA sees an empty cell as something that can be used as numeric 0.

kind of like =a1 returns a 0 if the A1 is empty.