-   -   Excel Spreadsheet using SQL.REQUEST - System Requirements (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/306832-excel-spreadsheet-using-sql-request-system-requirements.html)

Bryan Linton

Excel Spreadsheet using SQL.REQUEST - System Requirements

I've just put together a spreadsheet that pulls data from tables in an
access database using SQL.REQUEST. Since I have Access, I didn't, until
just now, give a thought to the fact that most of my users are running the
Std Edition of Office 2000 and do not have Access installed. I plan to
place a local copy of the database and spreadsheet on the machines of the
users who will use this (laptop users). My question is, will the
spreadsheet properly connect to and query the .mdb if Access isn't installed
on their machines? Will I need to install Access for these users?

Thanks,

Bryan

Jamie Collins

Excel Spreadsheet using SQL.REQUEST - System Requirements

"Bryan Linton" wrote ...

I've just put together a spreadsheet that pulls data from tables in an
access database using SQL.REQUEST. Since I have Access, I didn't, until
just now, give a thought to the fact that most of my users are running the
Std Edition of Office 2000 and do not have Access installed. I plan to
place a local copy of the database and spreadsheet on the machines of the
users who will use this (laptop users). My question is, will the
spreadsheet properly connect to and query the .mdb if Access isn't installed
on their machines? Will I need to install Access for these users?

No. AFAIK, you only need the Excel ODBC add-in, the mdb file, the mdw
file (if applicable), the driver you are using and the DSN (if
applicable).

Jamie.