-   -   Lookup problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/306058-lookup-problem.html)

gameboxinc

Lookup problem

Hi, the problem I have with lookup is that it doesn't do an exact match. It matches any part of Lookup_value with any part of Lookup_vector and returns the value.

I need it to bring the result_vector only if the Lookup_value is exactly the same as Lookup_vector. if its not exactly the same then put na or what ever it is it puts.

Can some one please help me. Thank you.

Frank Kabel

Lookup problem

Hi
if you use VLOOKUP you have to specify the 4th parameter
for an exact match. e.g.
=VLOOKUP(value,range,col_index, fALSE)
If this is not your problem you may post your used formula

Hi, the problem I have with lookup is that it doesn't do

an exact match. It matches any part of Lookup_value with
any part of Lookup_vector and returns the value.

I need it to bring the result_vector only if the

Lookup_value is exactly the same as Lookup_vector. if its
not exactly the same then put na or what ever it is it
puts.

Can some one please help me. Thank you.
.

Helen Trim[_4_]

Lookup problem

Vlookup and Hlookup have an optional fourth argument,
RangeLookup. It defaults to TRUE, which means, for
example, that if you have a lookup table:

1 One
2 Two
3 Three

and you lookup on 1.5, it will return One.

Set it to FALSE and it will only use an exact match.

HTH