-   -   How to find a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/304748-how-find-column.html)

Jon Turner

How to find a column

In VBA, how would I find a specific column ? I want the function
to return the column number of a column named "Sample"

Many Thanks

Ron de Bruin

How to find a column

Hi Jon

If it is a named range

MsgBox Range("Sample").Cells(1).Column

If you have a header with that name
Try this for the first row in Sheets("sheet1")

Sub test()
Dim FindString As String
Dim Rng As Range
FindString = "Sample"
Set Rng = Sheets("sheet1").Range("1:1").Find(What:=FindStrin g, _
After:=Range("A1"), _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
LookAt:=xlWhole, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False)
If Not Rng Is Nothing Then MsgBox Rng.Column

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Jon Turner" wrote in message ...
In VBA, how would I find a specific column ? I want the function
to return the column number of a column named "Sample"

Many Thanks

Tom Ogilvy

How to find a column

Ron addressed one possibility - here is another:
If you mean sample is text contained in the first row

Dim rng as Range
set rng = rows(1).Find("Sample")
if not rng is nothing then
rng.Entirecolumn.Select