-   -   Closest-to function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/304394-closest-function.html)

davidoo2005

Closest-to function

Is there a VBA function that sorts through a number of cells containing numbers that returns the cell closest to a certain value? For instance, in a column of numbers, I would like to find the cell containing the number closest to 20. The column may or may not contain 20 as a value.

Harlan Grove

Closest-to function

"davidoo2005" wrote...
Is there a VBA function that sorts through a number of cells
containing numbers that returns the cell closest to a certain
value? For instance, in a column of numbers, I would like to
find the cell containing the number closest to 20. The column
may or may not contain 20 as a value.

In a worksheet the usual approach would be to use the array formula

=MATCH(MIN(ABS(Range-Target)),ABS(Range-Target),0)

You could replace Range and Target in the formula above with your own
values, then feed the resulting string to Evaluate. The result would be the
index in Range at which the first (topmost or leftmost) of possibly many
closest value to Target is found.