-   -   Text Files (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/303969-text-files.html)

Joseph[_29_]

Text Files

Hey People,

Anyone know how to get the first line of data in a textfile and dump i
to a cell in Excel?

cheers
Jo

kkknie[_164_]

Text Files

This should do it...

Sub bubb()

Dim strLine As String

Close
Open "c:\junk.txt" For Input As #1
Line Input #1, strLine
Range("A1").Value = strLine
Close #1

Peter Beach

Text Files

Hi Joe,

Try something like:

Sub B()
Dim FNum As Integer
Dim sLine As String

FNum = FreeFile

Open "c:\temp\test.txt" For Input Access Read As #FNum

Input #FNum, sLine
Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1") = sLine
Close #FNum
End Sub

HTH

Peter Beach

"Joseph " wrote in message
Hey People,

Anyone know how to get the first line of data in a textfile and dump it
to a cell in Excel?

cheers
Joe

---

Joseph[_30_]

Text Files

Thats just the job,

Now is there any way to do this after a specified amount of time?

i.e. I want excel to check the size of the file after about 3 seconds
and if it finds that the file size has changed then it should outpu
the new code. I've been fiddling around with Filelen() and timer() bu
can't get my limited brain around it!

Cheer

Peter Beach

Text Files

Hi Joseph,

Check out Application.OnTime. Your structure would be something like:

Private m_nNextTime as double

Sub CheckFile()
' Code to check whether the file has changed

m_nNextTime = Now + TimeValue("00:00:03")
Application.OnTime m_nNextTime, "CheckFile"
End Sub

BTW you need to store the time the routine will next run so that you can
turn off the timer at the end.

HTH

Peter Beach

"Joseph " wrote in message
Thats just the job,

Now is there any way to do this after a specified amount of time?

i.e. I want excel to check the size of the file after about 3 seconds,
and if it finds that the file size has changed then it should output
the new code. I've been fiddling around with Filelen() and timer() but
can't get my limited brain around it!

Cheers

---