-   -   Changing text to numberformat via textbox on a form (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/302121-changing-text-numberformat-via-textbox-form.html)

Stef

Changing text to numberformat via textbox on a form

I use textboxes on a form to enter various data to some cells in a spreadsheet. (Not a table). All values are saved as text regardless of if they are actually numbers. So I tried ths:
With Range("MyCell")
.Value = TextBox3
.NumberFormat = "#,##0"
End With
The cell is now formatted as a number but I have to doubleclick it to appear as a number as it still looks like text and the green little mark says it has been saved as text!

How do I get around this?

Regards Stef

Harald Staff

Changing text to numberformat via textbox on a form

Hi Stef

Formatting as number will not convert text to numbers. Why is it text in the
first place ? Shouldn't be. Anyway, you can force a number-lookalike text to
be number by multiplying it by 1:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
With Range("MyCell")
.Value = TextBox3.Text
.Value = .Value * 1
.NumberFormat = "#,##0"
End With
End Sub

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Stef" skrev i melding
I use textboxes on a form to enter various data to some cells in a

spreadsheet. (Not a table). All values are saved as text regardless of if
they are actually numbers. So I tried ths:
With Range("MyCell")
.Value = TextBox3
.NumberFormat = "#,##0"
End With
The cell is now formatted as a number but I have to doubleclick it to

appear as a number as it still looks like text and the green little mark
says it has been saved as text!

How do I get around this?

Regards Stef

Stef

Changing text to numberformat via textbox on a form

Thanks! your tip fixed my problem. I do not know for sure but using textboxes to enter data from a form seems to save this data as text by default.

Stef

"Harald Staff" wrote:

[...]

Tom Ogilvy

Changing text to numberformat via textbox on a form

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
With Range("MyCell")
.Value = cdbl(TextBox3.Text) ' or clng(Textbox3.Text)
.NumberFormat = "#,##0"
End With
End Sub

Everything in a textbox is text.