-   -   Save as using cell content in file name (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/301474-save-using-cell-content-file-name.html)

NickMinUK

Save as using cell content in file name

Can someone help with code that changes the "save As" file name to
combination of the original File Name + the contents of a cell, an
saves file in same folder as the original.

E.G. Original File Name= Timesheet
Cells B1= Location
Cell C1 = Date in format 3-5-2004
Cell A1 = concatenate(B1,C1)

Fle Name will therefore "Timesheet Location 3-5-2004"

The other problem is with the date. When concatenating, how do I forma
the date to avoid it looking like "Location 38051"

Any help much appreciated

Nic

Mark Heyhoe

Save as using cell content in file name

Hi Nick,
Try this code, changing cell, sheet, thisworkbook (activeworkbook) reference as appropriate.
HTH,
Mark

Sub test()
Dim sString As String
' You don't need to use a string variable as you could just use this as an argument to saveas
' Get full workbook path and name, but remove (.xls)
' Get contents of cell, but format as required
sString = Left(ThisWorkbook.FullName, Len(ThisWorkbook.FullName) - 4) & _
Format(ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("a1 ").Value, "dd-mm-yyyy")
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs sString
End Sub

"NickMinUK " wrote:

Can someone help with code that changes the "save As" file name to a
combination of the original File Name + the contents of a cell, and
saves file in same folder as the original.

E.G. Original File Name= Timesheet
Cells B1= Location
Cell C1 = Date in format 3-5-2004
Cell A1 = concatenate(B1,C1)

Fle Name will therefore "Timesheet Location 3-5-2004"

The other problem is with the date. When concatenating, how do I format
the date to avoid it looking like "Location 38051"

Any help much appreciated

Nick

---