-   -   possible "or" function? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/300519-possible-function.html)

DangerMouse114[_10_]

possible "or" function?

I would like b1 to state "Open 8", but only if the cell above it (a1
does not have any text in it. A1 only gets used some of the time bu
when it does I would like B1 to show what A1 shows, if A1 has nothin
then the text "open 8" should. Is this an "or" function or an "if"? an
how would i place the formula correctly?

Thanks again!

Eri

Frank Kabel

possible "or" function?

Hi
try
=IF(A1="","Open 8",A1)
in cell B1

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

I would like b1 to state "Open 8", but only if the cell above it (a1)
does not have any text in it. A1 only gets used some of the time but
when it does I would like B1 to show what A1 shows, if A1 has nothing
then the text "open 8" should. Is this an "or" function or an "if"?
and how would i place the formula correctly?

Thanks again!

Eric

---

DangerMouse114[_12_]

possible "or" function?

no one knows?! :

Norman Harker

possible "or" function?

Hi!

Frank's reply looks OK to me:

=IF(A1="","Open 8",A1)
in cell B1

Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia

available free to good homes.

"DangerMouse114 " wrote in
message ...
no one knows?! :(

---
Message posted from
http://www.ExcelForum.com/

Debra Dalgleish

possible "or" function?

To find the replies to your messages, you can search the Google
newsgroup archives:

http://groups.google.com/groups?&thr...rum-nospam.com

DangerMouse114 < wrote:
no one knows?! :(

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

DangerMouse114[_14_]

possible "or" function?

Sorry never saw that. But there is a problem with that. A-1 could b
anynumber or things. I maybe wrong but if you use that formula th
first " " would have to have what ever you expect might show up in A1
So it would work if A1 had only one possible data entry expected t
possibly be there.

any sugestions

Steve Garman

possible "or" function?

Have you tried Frank's suggestion? It does exactly what you asked for.

If that's not what you wanted then you'll have to explain your needs again.

By the way, Frank's formula makes no mention of "A-1" and it makes no
assumptions about what is in cell A1.

DangerMouse114 < wrote:
Sorry never saw that. But there is a problem with that. A-1 could be
anynumber or things. I maybe wrong but if you use that formula the
first " " would have to have what ever you expect might show up in A1.
So it would work if A1 had only one possible data entry expected to
possibly be there.

any sugestions?

---

Steve Garman