-   -   # added to number in function procedure (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/296495-added-number-function-procedure.html)

Erin[_5_]

# added to number in function procedure

Hi All,

Does anyone know why VBA would add a # after a number.

I type in:

anNewIP = anNewIP + 2147483648

And when I move to the next line the code changes to:

anNewIP = anNewIP + 2147483648#

I've never seen this before.

Thanks.

Jake Marx[_3_]

# added to number in function procedure

Hi Erin,

I can tell you what's happening, but not why. Maybe someone else can fill
in the gaps. A Long Integer only goes to 2,147,483,647. When you type the
next number up, VBA adds a # to the end, which is the type-declaration
character for a Double. Maybe since you typed what looks like an integer,
VBA adds the # to let you/itself know that the value must be represented as
a floating point value instead. FWIW, if you add a decimal fraction to the
number, VBA does not add the #.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

Erin wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone know why VBA would add a # after a number.

I type in:

anNewIP = anNewIP + 2147483648

And when I move to the next line the code changes to:

anNewIP = anNewIP + 2147483648#

I've never seen this before.

Thanks.

Erin[_5_]

# added to number in function procedure

Thanks, Jake. That explains it. Sure enough it doesn't
happen with 2147483647. Interesting.

I can tell you what's happening, but not why. Maybe

someone else can fill
in the gaps. A Long Integer only goes to 2,147,483,647.

When you type the
next number up, VBA adds a # to the end, which is the

type-declaration
character for a Double. Maybe since you typed what looks

like an integer,
VBA adds the # to let you/itself know that the value must

be represented as
a floating point value instead. FWIW, if you add a

decimal fraction to the
number, VBA does not add the #.

Jake Marx
MS MVP - Excel
www.longhead.com

[please keep replies in the newsgroup - email address

unmonitored]

.