-   -   Database question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/295488-database-question.html)

Jim[_22_]

Database question

Sample database:

Name Zone Agency Month Amount
John Doe West Smith Jan 150,000
Bill Smith North Johnson Feb 175,000

Given a database like above with hundreds of entries, what array formula
would one use to find the following info:

1. Which person from the North Zone had the highest value sale in the month
of Jan?
2. Which person from the North Zone had the 2nd highest value sale in the
month of Jan?
How about the 3rd highest?

If you can give me the direction to go I think I can figure out how to
answer other similar questions. Thanks alot!!, Jim

JE McGimpsey

Database question

One way (array-entered):

=INDEX($A$2:$A$1000,MATCH(LARGE(($B$2:$B$1000="Nor th")*$E$2:$E$1000,1),($
B$2:$B$1000="North")*$E$2:$E$1000,0))

Change the 1 in the LARGE() function to 2, 3, etc.

In article , "Jim" wrote:

Sample database:

Name Zone Agency Month Amount
John Doe West Smith Jan 150,000
Bill Smith North Johnson Feb 175,000

Given a database like above with hundreds of entries, what array formula
would one use to find the following info:

1. Which person from the North Zone had the highest value sale in the month
of Jan?
2. Which person from the North Zone had the 2nd highest value sale in the
month of Jan?
How about the 3rd highest?

If you can give me the direction to go I think I can figure out how to
answer other similar questions. Thanks alot!!, Jim

Jim[_22_]

Database question

Thanks for the answer:

One way (array-entered):

=INDEX($A$2:$A$1000,MATCH(LARGE(($B$2:$B$1000="Nor th")*$E$2:$E$1000,1),($
B$2:$B$1000="North")*$E$2:$E$1000,0))

Change the 1 in the LARGE() function to 2, 3, etc.

But how do I limit to a second criteria: 2nd highest in the month of Jan
(column D)

Thanks

"Jim" wrote in message ...
Sample database:

Name Zone Agency Month Amount
John Doe West Smith Jan 150,000
Bill Smith North Johnson Feb 175,000

Given a database like above with hundreds of entries, what array formula
would one use to find the following info:

1. Which person from the North Zone had the highest value sale in the

month
of Jan?
2. Which person from the North Zone had the 2nd highest value sale in the
month of Jan?
How about the 3rd highest?

If you can give me the direction to go I think I can figure out how to
answer other similar questions. Thanks alot!!, Jim

Postman Jim

Database question

Postman Jim

Thanks for the answer but I didn't see how to limit to Jan or the month.
Thanks

JE McGimpsey

Database question

Reread my answer, starting with "Change..."

"Jim" wrote in message ...
Sample database:

Name Zone Agency Month Amount
John Doe West Smith Jan 150,000
Bill Smith North Johnson Feb 175,000

Given a database like above with hundreds of entries, what array formula
would one use to find the following info:

1. Which person from the North Zone had the highest value sale in the

month
of Jan?
2. Which person from the North Zone had the 2nd highest value sale in the
month of Jan?
How about the 3rd highest?

If you can give me the direction to go I think I can figure out how to
answer other similar questions. Thanks alot!!, Jim

Postman Jim

Database question

Yes I understand the 1 for the first, 2 for the 2nd,etc. My question
where does the Month(Column D) come in. I need to know the 1st, etc. in
Jan. Then I need to know the 1st, etc. in Feb, etc. Sorry I was unclear.
Also can the ranges include blanks?

Postman Jim